Romans 10, Israel Needs Faith Righteousness
- Paul prayed for the salvation of Israel—that Israel would recognize the Messiah and believe in him, thus gaining God’s righteousness. We can also pray that people will know that Jesus is the only savior and believe in him (Romans 10.1).
- Israel, in her religious zeal without right knowledge, tried to gain righteousness by works and so missed God’s righteousness which comes only through faith. Religious people, in their zeal for good works, often miss the gospel message. Carefully explain the why and how of God’s righteousness and that we gain it by grace through faith (Romans 10.1-4).
- The message that Israel must believe was available to them. That message is that Jesus is the Messiah: he came from heaven and was born as a man; and he was crucified for the sins of the world and then arose from the dead—the incarnation and resurrection. This is what Israel struggled with. They need to hear and believe this message (Romans 10.5-9).
- Faith is the requirement, but faith must have the right object. Jesus, God in the flesh, the Messiah is the only right object of faith. This is true for both Jew and Gentile (Romans 10.10-11).
- The world needs proclaimers of the good news about Jesus Christ because without the right knowledge of the gospel people will not know about Jesus and God’s righteousness gained only by faith (Romans 10.13-17).
- Israel has had the good news of God’s salvation given to her over the years. She has rejected the gospel, but Gentiles have accepted it. We are to continue proclaim the gospel to both Jews and Gentiles (Romans 10.18-21).